Financial Fraud

Common Scams:

Social Security Scams

Scammers pretend to be from Social Security Administration and try to get your social security number or money.

IRS Scams
Scammers call, pretending to be from the IRS, and say they’re filing a lawsuit against you for back taxes.
Phishing Scams
Scammers use email or text messages to trick you into giving them your personal information.
Fake Check Scams
Scammers ask you to deposit a check for more than you are owed and send some of the money to another person.

Contact Us

Skowhegan Savings’ customer service team is available by calling 800.303.9511, or by email at  Customer service is available M-F 8:00am-5:00pm and Saturday 8:30am-12:30pm. Any time you have concerns about your account, please contact us.


When your ATM or Debit card is no longer in your possession, it must be cancelled to protect your account. If your card is lost or stolen, please call us at 800.303.9511. If you call after normal business hours, follow the menu prompt to cancel your card. Your call will be redirected to our service provider to ensure your card is cancelled immediately.


If you notice an unfamiliar transaction on your account, please contact us immediately. Whether it is a debit card, ACH or in branch transaction, you must report the transaction timely. We will guide you through researching the transaction and disputing if necessary. Please call us at 800.303.9511 or visit a local branch office.

We may contact you


If we detect unusual Online Banking activity, we may contact you to confirm if the activity is genuine. For your protection, online access may be blocked until we reach you. Read more about this service and how “Skowhegan Savings Protects You” in the previous section.


Our risk management team monitors debit card activity 24 hours a day. If materially unusual transactions are presented against your card, we will connect with you to confirm if the transaction is genuine. If we cannot reach you, to protect your account your card may be blocked until we can. Read more about this service and how “Skowhegan Savings Protects You” in the previous section.

External Resources


Not sure what to do if you’ve been a victim of identity theft? The Federal Trade Commission provides step by step instructions to guide you through reporting and recovering from identify theft. Visit their webpage at


Detect identify theft quickly by monitoring your credit report regularly. You are entitled to one free credit report each year. Visit for credit report information or to request a free report.


Learn more about the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and your account coverage by visiting

FFIEC – Consumer Help Center

The Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) offers a Consumer Help Center at This council is a formal interagency body empowered to prescribe uniform principles, standards, and report forms for the federal examination of financial institutions by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (FRB), the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and to make recommendations to promote uniformity in the supervision of financial institutions.